“Stylish Dress Book” Again

View “K” take two!  As some of you might remember, I made a “K” blouse back in March. As you might also remember, I had some problems with the pattern’s fit.  For example, it was shorter than I wanted it, and the neck was too big.   So, I fixed it.  Here’s the result.  (Modeled photo-cred goes to Mum, as usual.)

010

011

Now, this next part might be a bit boring, if you don’t sew,  but here are my (1. Second thoughts about the pattern and (2. Alterations I made.

Second Thoughts: This pattern was much quicker and easier the second go-round, as might be expected. I really had no problems, and didn’t have to rip anything major out.  Over all, the method was sound and easy to follow.  However, the one thing I *will* change in the future, will be the construction of the cuffs.  The directions say –and I summarize– to ‘sew the cuffs to the wrong side; fold down cuff hem, than fold cuff to right side and top-stitch to sleeve.’     This method doesn’t work for me.   Next time I make this, I will Iron down cuff hem; sew cuff to *right* side, top-stitch, fold cuff to *wrong side*, and hand-stitch down.   A trifle more steps, but for me, less work.

I followed the directions from pattern “G” for the bias binding, and it did turn out nicer.  (Below you can see my first attempt at the binding, contrasted with my second try)

Note on bias binding: Be sure to add a centimeter seam allowance to the ends. 

030

  • Alterations:
  • Lengthened front and back by 2 1/2″
  • Narrowed front and back neckline by 1/2″ (extended shoulder seams inward)
  • Tapered back extension to point 1/2″ beyond edge-most marking
  • Raised front neckline by 1 1/2″  (and it still wanted to slide around a bit)
  • Narrowed back by 7/8″ on fold
  • Shortened sleeves by 1 1/2″
  • On bias binding, I marked the “Match to Shoulder Seam” point at size 10. (I am a size 12) This is because the neckline is smaller with the added height.  Worked fine.
  • Cut binding to size 10. See above.
  • Did not cut cuff on fold.022

General Things I Would Like You to Know:

I wear it belted in with a grosgrain belt I had from another blouse. It makes a pretty ( I think) peasant effect.

We got the fabric either from a relative (people send us boxes) or a thrift-store grab bag, I forget which. It seems to be a poly-cotton blend, based on the fact that it’s a trifle scratchy, and irons perfectly well on the “Polyester” setting, whereas 100% cotton requires all the heat and steam you can give it.  It washed up nicely, though, and is much softer for the wear.

The fabric is rather mannish, but upon Mum’s suggestion (and she *does* have the best suggestions) I prettied it up with blue buttons, of which only the top one is functional.   I didn’t think to take a picture, but all the seams are frenched, even the sleeves.      And I’m rather proud of the tiny hem.    I hate hems: I’m scared I’ll get burned.

015

This pattern should be fine for a patient beginner. The most time-consuming  thing about it, for me, would be the frenching, and if you don’t french, or won’t french,  it should come together fairly quickly.   The hardest aspect of “View K” I found would be the cuffs, but I know how to do them next time. Really, whatever works and looks tidy.  Don’t be intimidated: Take the plunge and sew yourself up a blouse (or two)

Advertisements

2 thoughts on ““Stylish Dress Book” Again

  1. I think the blue buttons and tucked collar and sleeves make it look just perfect for a breezy, summer blouse! Good call on the belt too, it helps draw attention to the other details. I love looking at your sewing projects!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s