Remember this project?
Well, I’ve started working on it. And it has just as much math as I thought it would. So far, though, I’ve only got teary once.
I’m using Simplicity 1610, slightly altered, for the pockets, and, after a rather bad attempt trying to morph a circle skirt to a fitted waist, I’m just going with a self-drafted A-line. After all, a simple pattern done well is much better looking then a complex one done poorly. Not that a well-drafted A-line is anything to sneeze at. The tears! The agony! The math!
Regarding the A-line, if you want an example of me making a mistake, the paper pattern looked too narrow when held up to my hips, so I split the pattern and taped in four inches of extra width. When I made a mock-up, the skirt was four-inches too large, so I took the four inches out again and taped up the pattern. When I made a second mock-up, the skirt was about 5/8″ too small in the width, so I’ll have to add some ease back in. >sigh< But I’m getting closer! And I’m repurposing the too-small mock-up into a slip for Kristina. So it’s all useful.
If you want details as to the steps I’ve taken, I can give them to you (I keep track of all my steps in a note-book) but they’ll be excruciating. So much math! So much back-tracking. Such liberal use of scissors and tape. So I’ve included a slide-show of my progress so far, if you want a summary.
Good luck to me! I’ll keep you posted.